Housing Application for Continuing Students

Updated 01/22/24

The Undergraduate Continuing Student Housing Application and Housing Selection process is designed to support rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors as they apply and select Residential Life managed housing. It is important that all students familiarize themselves with the application, grouping, and selection portions of the process to be successful in securing housing for the next academic year.

Review the terms and conditions for your housing contract:

Continuing Student Housing Application for the 2024-25 Academic Year

Eligibility to Apply

All undergraduate students who plan to be enrolled full-time in courses at the university are eligible to apply for housing. Should a student’s enrollment status change before or during the academic year, they may no longer be eligible to live in Residential Life housing.

Students who plan to study abroad during any point of the academic year remain eligible to apply for housing, but they should be aware of the following information:

  • Students studying abroad for the fall semester should not fill out the 2024-25 Academic Year Application for Continuing Students and will instead be able to complete the Spring Housing Application when it becomes available later during the fall semester.
  • Students studying abroad for the spring semester should fill out the 2024-25 Academic Year Application for Continuing Students and submit a housing cancellation for their spring housing when prompted by the Residential Life Office later in the fall semester.

Housing Selection Important Dates

January 16, 2024 Housing Application Opens Available via WashU Housing Portal at 9:00 AM
February 14, 2024 Priority Deadline for Housing Application Students must complete their application by this date to take part in room self-selection. Roommate group creation/changes closes at midnight.
February 16, 2024 Roommate Group Verification Roommate groups are notified if they will be able to self-select a room based on their roommate group size and availability of those spaces.
February 16-18, 2024 Regrouping Window Begins Roommate grouping reopens to allow group members to add/remove roommates to meet size requirements in order to self-select a different size space.
February 23, 2024 Timeslots Become Visible in Housing Portal All roommate groups that were verified to be able to select a space matching their group size can see the timeslot assigned to their group in the Housing Portal.
February 29, 2024 Room Self-Selection Begins Room selection is available in the Housing Portal for groups assigned a timeslot during their selection time. Group Leaders are able to access the selection process and place each group member to a bed space. Group Leaders must be updated before their group’s timeslot if the original group leader is not available during the group’s timeslot.
March 7, 2024 Last Day of Room Self-Selection
March 25, 2024 Beginning of Administrative Housing Assignment Period Students who have a complete application that did not take part in the room self-selection process will receive a housing placement from the Residential Life Office on a rolling basis.
March 29, 2024 Administrative Assignment Waitlist Notification & Room Assignments Become Visible in the Housing Portal Students who have not yet received a housing assignment are placed on a waitlist and will receive an assignment as spaces become available. Students placed on this waitlist will receive notice via email. Room Assignments can be seen in the Housing Portal under Assignments.
March 31, 2024 Housing Cancellation Deadline Final day to submit a cancellation for any reason without penalty –See Cancellation Policy within Terms and Conditions.


Process Steps and Information


Complete the Application on the Housing Portal

Complete your Housing Application on the Housing Portal prior to the deadline listed under Important Dates. To complete the Housing Application, please follow these steps:

  • Log into the Housing Portal via your WebSTAC account.
  • Click on Applications from the navigation menu.
  • Select Academic Year Application for Continuing Students from the drop-down menu.
  • Select the application for the upcoming academic year.
  • Complete each available page of the application (housing agreement, lifestyle preferences, etc.).

You will need to log into the Housing Portal via your WebSTAC account in order to access the Housing Application.


Apply to a Living Learning Community

Living Learning Communities (LLC)  are specialized living environments that connect students inside- and outside-the-classroom experiences on the agreed upon topic of their choice. The Living Learning Community is experienced through programs and activities planned by the participants of the LLC in collaboration with their faculty advisors and Staff advisors. This experience is Residential Life’s opportunity to continue to provide intentional support and programming more tailored to the student and their interest.

Students can apply to be a part of one of our established LLCs by indicating their interest within the housing application and completing the LLC application process. More information regarding LLCs can be found on our website here.

Students who are accepted into a Living Learning Community do not take part in room self-selection and will be pulled out of roommate groups that are not composed entirely of LLC members. It is recommended that students applying to live in a Learning Living Community communicate this with their group members


Chapter Facility Housing (also known as Fraternity Housing)

Residential Life and the University owns and operates nine University facilities that fraternities have been granted the privilege of occupying located near the Athletic Complex and the Village Green on the Danforth Campus.

Students who are interested in Chapter Facilities must complete the Residential Life housing application. Then, you must connect with your chapter House Managers for next steps. Each Chapter Facility operates their housing selection phase independently from the Residential Life room selection process.

Note: You will have the option to disclose, and are encouraged to do so, on your housing application that you are a member of a Fraternity on campus. If you wish to live in Chapter Facility Housing as a fraternity member, your process will be facilitated by you and your fraternity members prior to the grouping process. More information can be found here: Sorority and Fraternity Life website.

Cancellation Policy

For an in-depth understanding of the Cancellation Policy, please review the Terms and Conditions within the Housing Agreement linked at the top of this page. For the 2024 – 2025 Academic Year Application for Returning Students, students can cancel at no penalty anytime on or before March 31, 2024.


Roommate Mixers

Find potential roommates to group with through our Roommate Mixer events. We are here to help you all get to know one another and answer any questions you may have!

We also have the Roommate Finder feature via your WashU Housing Portal. Attend our roommate mixers for support on how to use the Roommate Finder to complete your group.

Roommate Mixer Schedule

Tuesday, February 6          6 – 8 p.m.    Lopata Multipurpose Room

Wednesday, February 7     6 – 8 p.m.    Risa Commons

Tuesday, February 13        6 – 8 p.m.    Risa Commons

Complete your Group on the Housing Portal 

Complete your Group on the Housing Portal prior to the deadline listed under Important Dates. To complete your Group, please follow these steps:

  • Identify a group leader within your planned group.
  • Once identified, the group leader will do the following:
    • Log into the Housing Portal via your WebSTAC account.
    • Click on Applications from the menu options.
    • Select Academic Year Application for Continuing Students from the drop-down menu.
    • Select the application for the upcoming academic year.
    • Create a group within the housing application. This will include a group name and password.
      • During group creation, the group creator will indicate if the group is being made for the On-Campus Suite Selection Process or the On and Off-Campus Apartment Selection Process. More information about what types of housing is available in each of these processes is listed below.
  • After group creation, anticipated group members must do the following to add themselves to the group:
    • Log into the Housing Portal via your WebSTAC account.
    • Click on Applications from the menu options.
    • Select Academic Year Application for Continuing Students from the drop-down menu.
    • Select the application for the upcoming academic year.
    • Add yourself to the group using the group name and password set by your group leader.
  • After group creation, group leaders can also add group members.

Students can group with any student who has submitted their housing application prior to the priority deadline listed under Important Dates. However, we recommend forming your group with individuals that share your class year.

There are no gender restrictions placed on the forming of groups.

Groups who receive a timeslot will be able to select from all available housing options for their group size within their chosen process during their timeslot. For example, if your group has two members, you will only see two person units. You will not see any units larger or smaller than two person units.

Suite Selection Process

Those participating in the Suite Selection process should be aware of the following information:

  • The Suite Selection process gives sophomores priority. Typically, juniors and seniors do not participate in this process.
  • Students are highly encouraged to form groups of 4.
  • There are very limited 3-person and 2-person options.

Look below for the majority of housing options available to students who are in the Suite Selection Process:

  • S40 Modern Single Suite (4 person; 4 single bedrooms)
  • Village & Lopata Modern Single Suite (4 person; 4 single bedrooms)
  • S40 Modern Double (2 person; double bedroom; shared bathroom)
  • S40 Traditional Single (1 person; single bedroom; community restroom)

Apartment Selection Process

Those participating in the Apartment Selection Process should be aware of the following information:

  • The Apartment Selection Process gives priority based on class year. Seniors are given the highest level of priority, then juniors, then sophomores.
  • The majority of Residential Life managed apartments are 3-person units. 

Look below for the majority of housing options available students who are in the Apartment Selection Process:

  • Greenway Apartments  (3 person, 2 person, and 1 person; single bedrooms)
  • University Drive (3 person, 2 person; single bedrooms)
  • The Lofts (3 person, 2 person, and 1 person; single bedrooms)
  • Rosedale (3 person, 2 person, 1 person; single bedrooms)
  • Village East (4 person, 3 person; single bedrooms; each type is limited)
  • Millbrook Apartments (3 person, 4 person, 5 person, 6 person, 7 person, and 8 person apartments available; all 4 person and most 5 person apartments include at least one double bedroom; each type is limited)

Mixing Class Standing within Your Group

We know there are students who wish to group with a mix of class years.

Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors can group with any class level or gender of their choosing. Groups with mixed class will impact the priority level of your group. As a reminder,

  • Sophomores are given priority in the Suite Selection process.
  • Seniors are given priority in the Apartment Selection process.
    • Groups will be prioritized in the Apartment Selection process in the following order:
      • All seniors
      • Seniors and juniors
      • All Juniors
      • Any group that includes a sophomore

Forming a Group of One

Individuals who wish to participate in the process as an individual are able to form a group of one. Students who receive a timeslot will be able to make their selection during the selection period.

Failure to form a group will automatically move you into the administrative assignments process.



A timeslot is the date and time when the group leader is able to select a Residential Life unit/room for their group.

  • For example, if your timeslot is March 30, 2024 at 10 a.m., your group leader is able to log onto the WashU Housing Portal to select housing and assign group members to bed spaces at or after the time slot. If there are doubles within your unit, your group leader will place each individual. Be sure to have conversations and agree upon which individuals will be in which rooms with your group prior to your timeslot.

Groups who receive a timeslot will be able to select from all available housing options for their group size within their chosen process during their timeslot. For example, if your group has two members, you will only see two person units. You will not see any units larger or smaller than two person units.  

  • If you are in the Suites Selection process, you will not see any apartment options, regardless of group size.
  • If you are in the Apartment Selection process, you will not see suites as an option, regardless of group size.

Timeslot notifications will be sent out to students by the dates listed in the Important Dates section. Please note that not all notifications will be sent out on one day. Some groups may receive their timeslot before the deadline. All groups will receive their timeslots by the times and dates listed above.

There are a certain number of spaces available among each room type. If the number of groups interested in a particular room type exceeds what is available, you may not receive a timeslot.

All groups who do not receive a timeslot during the initial sorting process will be notified and will be given the opportunity to regroup during the regrouping period.  You will be told at this time what size units are still available so you can change the size of your group.  In addition, your group’s leader will be able to switch from Apartment to Suites (or Suites to Apartment) Selection, if you’d like. 

The same priority based on class year that was used during the first grouping process will apply again to the new grouping.  If you regroup or do not regroup to a size with available spaces, you will be moved to the administrative assignments process.

As a note, you are able to cancel your housing contract at no penalty any time prior to the first cancellation deadline. Our Cancellation Policy is detailed within our terms and conditions.

Complete your Unit/Room Selection on the Housing Portal 

Complete your Unit/Room Selection on the Housing Portal on or after your timeslot. To do so, please have your group leader follow these steps:

  • Log into the Housing Portal via your WebSTAC account.
  • Click on Applications from the menu options.
  • Select Fall and Spring application from the drop-down menu.
  • Select the application for the upcoming academic year.
  • Follow the prompts and select from any available unit and assign the individuals in your groups to each bed space.


Housing Accommodations

Housing Accommodations are determined by the Disability Resource Office. Approved accommodations are then implemented by Residential Life. Note, your housing placement will be assigned to fit the needs of your approved housing accommodation from Disability Resources.

Students will receive notification of the Housing Accommodation from the Disability Resources Office decision through their WUSTL email, typically 2-6 weeks after submitting their request. Late requests will be placed on a space available as is.

Important Rules for Housing Accommodations

  • Students must still complete the Room & Board Application through their WashU Housing Portal to be considered for a placement in housing, even if they have already been approved for a housing accommodation.
  • Being approved for a housing accommodation does not guarantee that you will be placed in your first-choice residential hall or with your preferred friends. Disability Resources makes determinations regarding functional accommodations in housing. Their office is not involved in the process of assigning a student’s specific room or specific roommates/suitemates. This process is managed by Residential Life and students will be notified of their specific room assignment separately.
  • Students with an approved accommodation can have no more than 3 roommates. However, they can also apply as an individual. This does not guarantee a single room placement.
  • Students who submit requests or appeals after the posted deadline may need to be placed as an individual, instead of with chosen roommates. Additionally, students who submit requests or appeals after the posted deadline may be placed on a waiting list for the next available room that meets their accommodation.

For questions to Disability Resources, please contact their office at 314-935-5970 or by email. They are located on the ground floor of Gregg House on the South 40. Their office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

How to Request Housing Accommodations

Students Not Currently Connected with Disability Resources: Students who are not currently connected to Disability Resources and are requesting accommodations for the first time due to a documented disability should follow the below steps.

  1. Submit the Public Accommodation Request Form: Students who are not already registered with Disability Resources should submit the New Student Application form and upload their documentation of disability with this form (see documentation guidelines below). If you do not have access to your documentation at the time that you submit the form we can also accept documentation through mail, email, or fax. However, if you choose to submit documentation through one of these alternate means, please keep in mind that your request will not be considered complete until Disability Resources receives both your submission and documentation.
  2. Acquire disability documentation and submit directly to Disability Resources via application, fax, email, or in-person drop-off: In general, all requests for housing accommodations must include documentation prepared by a qualified evaluator that includes following:
    • Statement of Diagnosis: If student possesses multiple diagnoses that impact their daily life functions and may present the need for housing accommodations, providers should include that information.
    • Procedures/Assessments: List any procedures/assessment used to confirm the diagnosis of the student’s condition.
    • Severity and/or expected progression of Condition: Details regarding severity and progression (specific to student, not generalities); which symptoms rise to the level of disability.
    • Functional Impact/Symptoms: How does the condition (and/current treatment) impact the student’s ability to learn or meet the demands of the university setting? Functional impact (specific to student/patient) allows our office to identify and analyze specific situations/environments that may present barriers for students.
    • Current medications and any related side-effects: Side-effects of medication, if any, alerts our office to discuss accommodations related to class schedules, physical environments, and other accommodations that may assist in alleviating barriers.

Students Currently Connected to Disability Resources: Students connected with Disability Resources that have an active profile and do not currently have housing accommodations will complete an “Accommodation Plan Modification Request” form within their Access WashU portal. If assistance is needed with the process, students should reach out directly to Disability Resources.

Student Requesting a Renewal of Housing Accommodations: Students who currently have housing accommodations and are seeking to renew their accommodations should reach out to Disability Resources via email disabilityresources@wustl.edu to communicate their intention of remaining/residing in University owned housing for the upcoming academic year.

Please note: Regardless of eligibility for housing accommodations, students must follow all University Residential Life housing processes and procedures to secure campus-owned housing. Housing spaces are limited and assigned on a first come, first served basis. Neither the presence of a disability nor eligibility for a housing accommodation guarantees campus-owned housing, a specific location, or roommate.

Is it necessary to request housing accommodations?

  • For dietary restrictions > No. Dining services works to support students with special dietary needs, this includes those with medically restricted diets and those with food allergies and intolerances. Dining Services is generally able to meet the needs of students requesting specialized meal plans so all students with special dietary needs are encouraged to work with dining services to make dining on campus enjoyable and safe. The process for requesting dietary accommodations is outlined on the Dining Services website.
  • For transportation and Proximity to Academic Buildings > No. All on-campus residential buildings are considered to be within close proximity to academic buildings and other campus facilities. Students whose disabilities may limit their ability to walk and/or carry a heavy backpack for long distances are encouraged to utilize the Campus Circulator and/or Medical Escort Service when traveling across campus. More information about these options can be found on the Parking and Transportation Services website.
  • For Environmental Allergens > No. The university has conducted tests of environmental allergen levels throughout the Residential Life buildings. The results of these tests found that there is not a significant difference in allergen level between the various building types. To reduce exposure to environmental allergens, students are encouraged to follow the guidelines of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology by bringing allergen-proof fabric covers for bedding, a dehumidifier, and/or HEPA filter air purifier for use in their residence hall rooms.
  • For distraction-Reduced Study Space > No. By nature, residential housing is not a distraction-reduced environment. Students are encouraged to explore the many study spaces throughout campus to find a quiet study location and are welcome to contact Disability Resources for recommendations.

Frequently Asked Questions — To be updated at a later date

Non-Residential Life Housing Options