- Spend time individually reflecting using the WashU Living Agreement Facilitation Questions
- Sit down with your suite/roommates to complete the agreement using the WashU ResEd Living Agreements
- Meet with your Resident Advisor to discuss the agreement and sign the form together with your suite/roommates.
- Keep and refer to this agreement when needed.
- Don’t be afraid to have open, honest, respectful and empathetic conversations with your roommates if discrepancies arise or revisions need to be made throughout the year.
Room Assignments & Changes
- Set-up an in-person time to talk with your roommate(s) about your concerns
- Focus on what is most concerning for you
- Be specific about behaviors of concerns
- Use ‘I’ statements
- Ask open ended questions and actively listen
- Use your living agreement to generate dialogue or to reference during your conversation
- If you need more guidance, talk with your RA about your concerns and get some help addressing it
- Share what is most concerning to you
- Be honest about all your concerns even if some feel small or insignificant
- Talk about what your needs for support are in addressing the conflict
- If needed, have your RA mediate a conversation between you and your roommate(s) and have them help complete or revise your living agreement
Residents are able to request a change to a specific location, building and/or room. Residents who do not have a specific space in mind will be assisted by the Residential Life Office during this process.
Please be aware that housing rates vary depending on the location, building and room type. Some buildings may also require a meal plan change. Be sure to review our Housing Rates prior to accepting a room change offer.
- The Room Change Request form will open on the WashU Housing Portal starting September 11, 2018 at 12 p.m. The form will close on October 2, 2018 at 5 p.m.
- All residents are encouraged to meet with their current Resident Advisor (RA) or Residential College Director or Residential Community Director (RCD) before submitting a Room Change Request form.
- We ask residents to be patient in this process as room change offers are given based on availability. Residents will receive updates on the status of their request.
- If we can offer you a space, you will receive an email with the room offer to your WashU email account. Residents will be given the names and emails of any current occupant(s) of a space they are offered. It is highly encouraged students contact those residents prior to accepting or denying their room offer.
- If we cannot offer you a new space that meets your needs, you will receive notification via email. Your request will remain open should a space become available.
- Residents must respond with their acceptance or denial via email within two business days of receiving the room offer.
- Those who accept a room offer will receive a final email confirming their room change and the date in which they can gain access to their new space.
- If you deny a room offer, that request will be closed and another request must be submitted by the October 2, 2018 deadline.
Choose Room Change from the drop down menu then click SAVE & CONTINUE.
Make sure the correct housing contract term is on display then click CONTINUE.
The Room Change Request form will open on the following page. All fields on the request form are required. Click Submit Request at the bottom of the page once you have completed the form. You will receive a confirmation email when the form has been successfully submitted.
Frequently Asked Questions
*Residential Life reserves the right to assign any student to a vacant space without advanced notice in the event of an emergency.
Example: If you move from a double to a single, you will be charged for the number of days you were in the double. Your billing will then be adjusted to reflect the remainder of the semester in the single, based on the first day you received access to the single room.