Residential Life allows students to cancel their housing agreement should they choose not to live in residential life managed housing. Below is information about our cancellation policy and dates to follow in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Cancellation Fee Schedule
- If received by November 15: Students may cancel their housing, for reasons related to Study Abroad, Graduation, or Medical Leaves of Absences, by this deadline, without incurring a cancellation fee. All cancellation requests will be reviewed by Residential Life.
- If cancellation is received after November 15: Enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year.
- If received by March 31: Students may cancel their housing, for any reason, by this deadline, without incurring any cancellation fee.
- If received by April 1 – June 15: Cancellation requests received during this time frame will be reviewed and if approved by the Office of Residential Life will be charged a $500 cancellation fee.
- If cancellation requests received after June 15: Enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year.
Important Things to Remember:
Signing Your Agreement:
- By entering into this Agreement, you are committing to Residential Life Managed Housing for the entire academic year (both fall and spring semesters).
- Students with a submitted housing application are guaranteed placement within university-provided housing. They are not guaranteed building locations, room types, room rates or roommates.
- Undergraduate students may apply to live in Residential Life Housing for only the spring semester. In such instance, all Terms and Conditions contained herein will also apply.
- Absent exigent circumstances, the following reasons are not valid bases upon which approval to cancel this Agreement: dissatisfaction with location of assigned room; roommate disputes; vacancies left by roommates/suitemates; or, desire to live off campus (non-Office of Residential Life Managed Housing).
Submitting your Cancellation:
- All requests for cancellations of the Agreement shall be made by filing a Room Cancellation Request (form available on WebSTAC through the WashU Housing Portal).
- Submission of a request for cancellation does not guarantee release from this Agreement. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Office of Residential Life, which has the exclusive authority and discretion to grant a request for cancellation.
- Requests for cancellation of a spring semester-only housing Agreement must be received by the Office of Residential Life on or before November 15. Cancellation requests by November 15 will be reviewed and if approved by the Office of Residential Life will be charged a $500 cancellation fee.
- Requests submitted between April 1, and June 15, will be reviewed and, if
approved by the Office of Residential Life, will be subject to a $500 cancellation fee.
- The priority housing cancellation deadline is March 31. Students may cancel their housing by this deadline, without penalty or incurring a cancellation fee.
- Prorated refunds of room and board charges will be made to any such resident if they are approved to vacate their room by October 20th, for fall semester and March 20th for spring semester.
- Please note the housing cancellation deadlines and related fees contained herein are non-negotiable. Cancellation fees are applied equally according to the published schedule and are never waived or applied to other balances.
Submitting Cancellation Request after the deadline:
- Cancellations received after June 15 will not be permitted. The Housing License is a 9-month financial commitment for the full academic year, both the Fall and Spring Terms. Only school approved cancellations will be accepted after June 15. School approved cancellations (i.e.: withdrawals, deferrals and leaves of absence) received after June 15 will be charged a $500 cancellation fee. After June 15, enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year.
- After November 15, no cancellation will be permitted and the student will be responsible for the full costs associated with the room for the entire semester.