Housing Cancellation Information for July 31 – August 31: Residential Life finalized housing assignments for existing contracts on August 24th with a deadline to cancel by August 31st without penalty. As a reminder: Prorated refunds of room and board charges will be made to any such resident if they are approved to vacate their room by October 20th, 2020 for the fall semester and March 20th, 2021 for the spring semester. By entering into this Housing Agreement, you are committing to Residential Life Managed Housing for the entire 2020-2021 academic year (both fall and spring semesters).
General Housing Cancellation Policy Information
Residential Life allows students to cancel their housing agreement should they choose not to live in residential life managed housing. Below is information about our cancellation policy and dates to follow in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Signing Your Housing Contract Agreement:
- By entering into this Agreement, you are committing to Residential Life Managed Housing for the entire academic year (both fall and spring semesters).
- Students with a submitted housing application are guaranteed placement within university-provided housing as available. They are not guaranteed building locations, room types, room rates or roommates.
- Undergraduate students may apply to live in Residential Life Housing for only the spring semester. In such instances, all Terms and Conditions contained herein will also apply.
- Absent exigent circumstances, the following reasons are not valid bases upon which approval to cancel this Agreement: dissatisfaction with location of assigned room; roommate disputes; vacancies left by roommates/suitemates; or, desire to live off campus (non-Office of Residential Life Managed Housing).
Information about the Cancellation Timeline:·
- Submission of a request for cancellation does not guarantee release from the Agreement. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Office of Residential Life, which has the exclusive authority and discretion to grant a request for cancellation.
- Update 11/12/2020: Requests for cancellation of a spring semester-only housing Agreement must be received by the Office of Residential Life on or before March 20, 2021. Cancellation requests by March 20, 2021 will be reviewed by the Office of Residential Life.
Note: The March 20, 2021 deadline has been altered from the November 15, 2020 deadline outlined in current housing contracts in response to COVID-19.
- Requests submitted between March 20 and June 15, will be reviewed and, if
approved by the Office of Residential Life, will be subject to a $500 cancellation fee.
- Please note the housing cancellation deadlines and related fees contained herein are non-negotiable. Cancellation fees are applied equally according to the published schedule and are never waived or applied to other balances.
Cancellation Fee Schedule for 2020-2021:
- If received and approved by October 20, 2020: Students may cancel their housing, for reasons related to Study Abroad, Graduation, or Medical Leaves of Absences, by this deadline, without incurring a cancellation fee. All cancellation requests will be reviewed by Residential Life.
- If cancellation is received after October 20, 2020: Enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year.
- If received and approved by March 20, 2021: This serves as our priority housing deadline. Students may cancel their housing, for any reason, by this deadline, without incurring any cancellation fee.
- If cancellation is received after March 20, 2021: Enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year.
- If cancellation is received between March 21, 2021 and June 15, 2021: Cancellation requests received during this time frame will be reviewed and if approved by the Office of Residential Life will be charged a $500 cancellation fee.
- If cancellation requests are received after June 15: Enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year. Cancellations received after June 15 will not be permitted. The Housing License is a 9-month financial commitment for the full academic year, both the Fall and Spring Terms. Only school approved cancellations will be accepted after June 15. School approved cancellations (i.e.: withdrawals, deferrals and leaves of absence) received after June 15 will be charged a $500 cancellation fee. After June 15, enrolled students will not be approved for cancellation and will be responsible for the full cost of the room for the academic year.
Submitting a Cancellation Request:
All requests for cancellations of the Agreement shall be made by filing a Room Cancellation Request (form available on WebSTAC through the WashU Housing Portal).
- Log into your Webstac account
- From the top navigation, hover over the housing tab and select WashU Housing Portal
- From your WashU Housing Portal, select request forms
- From the selection of request forms, select room cancellation
- Choose the appropriate contract cancellation for Fall 2020 – Spring 2021 and complete the remaining steps.
In selecting your reasoning, please choose the most applicable from the options available.