Thank you for your interest in starting a new student group. Campus Life looks forward to exploring this opportunity with you! If you have questions that are not answered on this page, check with Campus Life.
Criteria for a new registered student group
- Complement the University mission
- Comply with university policy and all local, state, and federal laws
- Comply with the University Student Code of Conduct
- Demonstrated need that is currently not being met
- Demonstrated future sustainability for at least 2-3 years
- Three to five students interested, including identifying a President and Treasurer
- Activities that do not create undue risk or liability
- Student group constitution
- Written consent from the national organization, if applicable
- Student group name
- Membership requirements
- Financial obligations
- Officers and position descriptions
- Voting process
- Code of conduct
- Nondiscrimination statement
Steps to start a new registered student group
Step 1: Meet with Assistant Director, Peggy Hermes or designee in Campus Life to do an initial intake.
Step 2: Review Student Group Handbook to be aware of policies and support structures
Step 3: Apply for Campus Life registration on WUGO. Please allow for 5 business days to receive notification.
Note: Please ensure you have your group name, interested membership, constitution, image, general goals, and structure ready prior to the registration process
Step 4: Attend the Emergent Cohort Check Ins during the first semester of recognition
Requirement: New registered student groups are required to have one represent
attend at least 85% of designed check in times
Step 5 (optional): Apply for Kick Start Grant.
Step 6 (optional): Apply to be recognized by Student Union.
- If service based groups, working with local or global community partners or youth, please meet with The Gephardt Institute for Civic and Community Engagement before registering
- If sports club, group leaders should meet with Sean Curtis, Director of Sports Clubs, prior to seeking CL registration or SU recognition.
- If social fraternity or sorority, please work directly with Austin Sandoval-Sweeney, Associate Director.