Thank you for your interest in starting a new student group. Campus Life looks forward to exploring this opportunity with you! If you have questions that are not answered on this page, check with Campus Life.
Criteria for a new registered student group
- Complement the University mission
- Comply with university policy and all local, state, and federal laws
- Comply with the University Student Code of Conduct
- Demonstrated need that is currently not being met
- Demonstrated future sustainability for at least 2-3 years
- Three to five students interested, including identifying a President and Treasurer
- Activities that do not create undue risk or liability
- Student group constitution
- Written consent from the national organization, if applicable
- Student group name
- Membership requirements
- Financial obligations
- Officers and position descriptions
- Voting process
- Code of conduct
- Nondiscrimination statement
Steps to start a new registered student group
Step 1: Meet with Assistant Director, Peggy Hermes or designee in Campus Life to do an initial intake.
Step 2: Review Student Group Handbook to be aware of policies and support structures
Step 3: Apply for Campus Life registration on WUGO. Please allow for 5 business days to receive notification.
Note: Please ensure you have your group name, interested membership, constitution, image, general goals, and structure ready prior to the registration process
Step 4: Attend the Emergent Cohort Check Ins during the first semester of recognition
Requirement: New registered student groups are required to have one represent
attend at least 85% of designed check in times
Step 5 (optional): Apply for Kick Start Grant.
Step 6 (optional): Apply to be recognized by Student Union.
- If service based groups, working with local or global community partners or youth, please meet with The Gephardt Institute for Civic and Community Engagement before registering
- If sports club, group leaders should meet with Sean Curtis, Director of Sports Clubs, prior to seeking CL registration or SU recognition.
If social fraternity or sorority, please work directly with Austin Sandoval-Sweeny, Assistant Director.