Resident Advisor (RA) Information

Resident Advisor Position Description

The primary role of a Resident Advisor (RA) is developing a community of students in a university living environment. RAs create opportunities for students to learn about themselves and others and are responsible for facilitating the general safety and well-being of the community. The RA position is a challenging and rewarding experience. There are opportunities for RAs to develop skills in many areas including leadership, communication, programming, student support, crisis response, and other transferable skills. The RA as a staff member of the Office of Residential Life, is supervised by a Residential College Director, Residential Community Director (RCD), or an Assistant Residential College Director (ARCD).  View the job description at the link below.

Resident Advisor Position Description

Resident Advisor Application: Opens on October 9th, 2023!

Apply to be an RA using the application link here:

Resident Advisor Application

Preview Application Questions

Important Dates for 2024-2025 Academic Year Selection Process:

Application goes Live Monday, October 9, 2023
Application deadline for applicants studying abroad in Spring 2024 Thursday, November 9, 2023 @ 11:59 p.m.
Interviews for applicants studying abroad in Spring 2024 November 27th – December 1st, 2023
Application deadline for all applicants Friday, December 1, 2023
Interview Week January 19th – January 21st, 2024

Note: virtual accommodations will be made for candidates observing religious/cultural practices

Notification Day Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Position Must be Accepted Friday, February 9, 2024

Recorded Webinar: View the recorded RA Selection Information Webinar from the Fall to learn more about the application process and what it means to be an RA.

 Recorded Information Webinar to come soon

Information Sessions:


Thursday, October 12, 2023 Lopata House Classroom 22 6-7 pm
Tuesday, October 17, 2023 Village House 14 6-7 pm
Thursday, October 19, 2023 Hosted virtually on Zoom 5:30-6:30 pm
Wednesday, October 25, 2023 Danforth House (S40) Classroom A 6-7 pm
Wednesday, November 1, 2023 DUC 232 7-8 pm
Tuesday, November 7, 2023 Seigle L003 6-7 pm
Tuesday, November 14, 2023 Hosted virtually on Zoom 12-1 pm
Thursday, November 16, 2023 Umrath House (S40) Conference Room 5-6 pm

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for more information?
Please email the selection committee.
Do I get to choose where I’m going to live?
No. When you apply, we ask for your preferences in terms of what type of floor/community you would like most. We make an effort to follow your preferences, however, in deciding placements, we maximize our strengths, consider space limitations and the staffing needs of each residential area. Thus, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed in your top choice.
Will my residential preference choices affect whether I am selected?
Our goal is to hire the most qualified candidates to be RAs. We use the Residential Community preferences as a guide to help us make the best match possible.
What is the room and board compensation?
All RAs receive their room and local phone service as part of compensation. In addition, all RAs receive a full Silver Meal plan.
Will I still receive financial aid if I am an RA?
Yes; however, please speak to Student Financial Services to learn more about what this would look like for you.
Can transfer students apply to be an RA?
Yes; we encourage all transfer students to apply. They must be a current WashU student at the time they apply and must be in their third year of college when they start the role.
Can graduate students apply to be an RA?
The RA position is an undergraduate student leadership role. Applicants in a 3-2 or 4-2 program can only serve as RAs in their 3rd and 4th years as an undergraduate student at the University. Anyone completing a 5th year is encouraged to apply for graduate student positions, some of which are available within our office.

For questions, email directly. Follow us on Instagram @washureslife the next few weeks to learn more about the RA position and why you should definitely apply to be an RA!