Race refers to the concept of dividing people into groups on the basis of various sets of physical characteristics and the process of ascribing social meaning to those groups. Ethnicity describes the culture of people in a given geographic region, including their language, heritage, religion and customs.
The resources on this page explore the social construction of race and ethnicity, current racial and ethnic injustices, and the complexities of identity.
- African American – How You See Me
- A Conversation About Growing Up Black
- A Conversation With Native Americans on Race
- A Conversation With White People on Race
- MIDDLE EASTERN – How You See Me
- ASIAN | How You See Me
- LATINX | How You See Me
- The Seattle Times- Under Our Skin
- The Case for Reparations
- In Movies and on TV, Racism Made Plain
- The Quality Of Health Care You Receive Likely Depends On Your Skin Color
- The Report on Race That Shook America
- Why Trump’s Census Change Could Hit Asian-Americans Especially Hard
- America’s Next Generation Of Muslims Insists On Crafting Its Own Story
- What is Whiteness?
- Can You Lose A Language You Never Knew?
- The Rise Of Halal Cuisine In An Age Of Islamophobia
Academic Journals and Books
Solorzano, D., Ceja, M., & Yosso, T. (2000). Critical race theory, racial microaggressions, and campus racial climate: The experiences of african american college students. The Journal of Negro Education, 69(1), 60-73.
Matt Wray. Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness . Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press. 2006.
Vega, I. E., & Colón-Berlingeri, M. (2016). Diversity is Inclusion. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 14(2), E20–E21.
Barger, S., Donoho, C., & Wayment, H. (2009). The Relative Contributions of Race/Ethnicity, Socioeconomic Status, Health, and Social Relationships to Life Satisfaction in the United States. Quality of Life Research, 18(2), 179-189.
L90 AFAS 3542 — The Quest for Racial Reconciliation
L22 History 2674 — Sophomore Seminar: Slavery and Memory in American Popular Culture
Education 4511 Race, Ethnicity and Culture: Qualitative Studies in Education
L98-248 section 01: Latino/a Experiences in the United States
L98-3512 section 01: Model Minority: The Asian American Experience
L48 Anthro 3094 — Anthropology of LatinX
L48 Anthro 3163 — Archaeology of China: Food and People
L48 Anthro 4011 —Popular Culture and Consumption in Modern China
L05 Japan 4451 — Topics in Modern Japanese Literature: Sense and Sensuality in the Novels of Tanizaki Junichiro
L22 History 326B — Latin American Politics
L45 LatAm 2119 — First Year Seminar: Race and Ethnicity in Latin America: Myths, Realities and Identities