New International Graduate Student Status Form

The purpose of this form is to confirm your current visa status in the U.S. and your current or previous affiliation with Washington University, if applicable.

If you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 or any other status, please be sure to complete one of the last two questions appropriately. Washington University must have the correct information about your current status in order to issue you the most accurate immigration document. Additional instructions for specific circumstances will be provided within the form after you select the appropriate response for your situation.

OISS: New Graduate Student Status Form
Have you studied or worked at Washington University before? *
Are you currently an F-1 student or an F-1 student on OPT? (If you select yes, you must complete all of the questions below.)
When you are already in the U.S. in F-1 status, it is highly recommended that you transfer your current F-1 SEVIS record to Washington University from your current institution. To do so, you must speak to the international student office at your current school and notify them of your intent to transfer your SEVIS record. Please, note that there are deadlines after which you will not be able to carry out a regular transfer procedure, and you will risk falling out of legal status. Be sure to speak to your current school right away, and be prepared to provide them with Washington University’s SEVIS school code and the date of your transfer.

Washington University has two campuses and two SEVIS school codes. Please, use the appropriate code depending on your program at WashU.

  • Graduate students enrolling in one of the following medical programs use school code KAN214F10196001: Audiology and Communication Sciences; Biostatistics; MD Program; Medical Sciences Training Program; Movement Science; Occupational Therapy; Physical Therapy; Population Health Sciences; Rehabilitation and Participation Science; Speech or Hearing Sciences
  • Undergraduate and graduate students enrolling in any other program, use school code KAN214F10196000.
U.S. Local Address * (This field is required if you have selected "I'm an F-1 student" or "I'm in F-1 status, and am on OPT.")
<b>U.S. Local Address *</b> (This field is required if you have selected "I'm an F-1 student" or "I'm in F-1 status, and am on OPT.")
IMPORTANT – Your Planned Release Date in SEVIS should coincide with the date when a DSO at your current school will release your SEVIS record to Washington University. If you simply pick a date without confirming that your record will be transferred on that date, you run the risk of falling out of status or not receiving your new I-20 from Washington University in a timely manner. Please, speak to the DSO prior to submitting this form in order to agree that the date you intend to transfer your record is possible
Are you currently in the U.S. on a visa status other than F-1? (If you select yes, you must complete all of the questions below.)

Please note you CANNOT study in the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 status nor while a change of status application is pending from B-1/B-2 to F-1. Studying while a change of status application is pending is only feasible if you are changing from a J-2 or H-4 to an F-1. Please consult with OISS as early as possible if you are in the U.S. in any visa status other than F-1 and are not planning on leaving the U.S. in order to re-enter as in F-1 status.
When planning your travel, please remember that you cannot enter as an F-1 more than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20.
Please note that you are responsible for submitting the change of status (COS) application in a timely manner. You may consult an immigration attorney or file on your own. To discuss the COS process, please contact our office.
If you would like to discuss your situation, you can contact an immigration attorney or contact OISS.