Washington University is committed to responding as quickly as possible to any mental health emergency on campus.
A mental health emergency is an emotional or behavioral crisis that warrants same-day or immediate attention by a mental health professional. This may include, but is not limited to, significant changes in behavior that are not characteristic of a person, the presence of disruptive symptoms that interfere with the responsibilities of daily living, direct or indirect expressions or the intent to harm self or others, or the experience of a trauma or assault.
As always, please call 314-935-5555 in a life threatening mental health emergency if you are on campus, or call 9-8-8 if you are in the United States off-campus.
During our business hours, if you or a WashU student you know is experiencing a mental health crisis which is not immediately life threatening, please call us at 314-935-6695, and identify the situation as an emergency.
For immediate intervention when the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services is closed and you are on campus, call campus police at 314-935-5555. If you are off campus, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
To be connected to mental health support after hours, please download the TimelyCare app and access the Talk Now option. Sign up using your WashU email address. Support is available after-hours and on weekends year round.
National crisis hotlines and online services
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
- Crisis Text Line for Students of Color: Text STEVE to 741741
- Behavioral Health Response: 1-314-469-6644
- National Sexual Assault Hotline by RAINN: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or
- The Trevor Project (LGBTQ Suicide Hotline): 1-866-488-7386
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- LGBTQ Partner Abuse and Sexual Assault Helpline: 1-866-356-6998 or
- LGBTQ Partner Abuse and Sexual Assault Text: 804-793-9999.
- LGBTQ Partner Abuse and Sexual Assault Online chat