Click on the links below to learn about racial and socioeconomic disparities in the U.S. Education System. Key topics include disparities in discipline, school funding, and university debt.
- The Detroit Graduates | The New York Times
- On the Streets He is getting his PhD – and is homeless
- Ivy League and broke: One student shares her story
- Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools
- Meet the rural Americans who fear they’re being forgotten
- Forget Wealth And Neighborhood. The Racial Income Gap Persists
- How Are Different Asian-American Groups Faring Economically?
- Good School, Rich School; Bad School, Poor School- The inequality at the heart of America’s education system
- The Challenge of Educational Inequality
- Severe Inequality Is Incompatible With the American Dream
- In D.C., White Families Are on Average 81 Times Richer Than Black Ones
- A Fear Born of Brooklyn Gentrification
- A guide for ensuring inclusion and equity in education (PDF)
- Let Her Learn: A Toolkit to Stop School Push Out for Girls of Color
Academic Journals and Books
Ladson-Billings, G. (2006). From the achievement gap to the education debt: Understanding achievement in U.S. schools. Educational Researcher, 35(7), 3-12.
Wilson, H. (2014). Turning off the school-to-prison pipeline. Reclaiming Children and Youth, 23(1), 49-53
Hardaway, C. R., & McLoyd, V. C. (2009). Escaping poverty and securing middle class status: How race and socioeconomic status shape mobility prospects for african americans during the transition to adulthood. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 38(2), 242-56.
L90 AFAS 364 — Bad and Boujee: Blackness, Deviance, and Homemaking in the U.S.
L98-2033 section 01 — Introduction to Education: Contradictions and Controversies in School Choice
L98-299 section 01 —The Study of Cities and Metropolitan America
L98-3081 section 01 — City on a Hill: The Concept and Culture of American Exceptionalism
L98-332A section 01 — Getting Paid: A Sociological Investigation of Wages and Salaries
L98-3350 section 01 — Poverty and the New American City
L98-4621 section 01 — The Political Economy of Urban Education
Economics 348 — Economic Realities of the American Dream
Education 4621 — Political Economy of Urban Education
Education 461B — The Construction & Experience of Black Adolescence
Education 4289 — Neighborhood Schools and Social Inequalities
Education 489 — Education and Public Policy in the US
L77 WGSS 396 — Gender and Social Class
SOC 2510 – Sociological Approaches to American Health Care
SOC 351 – Topics in Sociology: Growing Up Poor Across America—An Application of Sociological Reasoning to Data
Sociology 2110 – Social Inequality in America
S20-5013 — Poverty & Inequality in America