Central to the community of Washington University, the Danforth University Center (DUC) sits in the center of the Danforth Campus offering areas to “find your center.” The DUC is supported and managed by Campus Life staff and is an integral component to their vision of empowering students to become better people, making better communities.
Monday-Friday: 7 a.m.-10 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday: 7 a.m.-10 p.m.
Phone and Address
Tisch Commons Information Desk: 314-935-3800
Fun Room Information Desk: 314-935-3340
UPS & FedEx
Washington University in St. Louis
6475 Forsyth Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63105
1 Brookings Dr.
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
Named in honor of Chancellor Emeritus William H. Danforth and the late Elizabeth (“Ibby”) Gray Danforth, the DUC is a hub of student and faculty involvement, dining and relaxation.
The three-story building was constructed entirely in the collegiate Gothic style by architecture firm Tsoi/Kobus & Associates.
The building was dedicated on April 17, 2009 and has been a central gathering place on campus ever since.
A Social Center
Social spaces are available for groups to convene and interact in an inviting, dynamic location in the heart of the campus. A Fun Room has been codesigned by students and Communication Arts, Inc. featuring garage doors that can be raised or lowered, modular furniture, chalkboard walls and high-tech audiovisual equipment.
“Ibby would be very pleased by having her name attached to this wonderful center,” said Dr. William H. Danforth. “I have countless warm memories of our years together at Washington University. She would see the new Danforth University Center as a special place where students can gather with their friends and classmates for activities and talks, for learning and for growing.”
The Danforth University Center is a green structure that is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)-NC Gold certified, in accordance with standards set by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The LEED system awards points to the building based on a 100-point scale, and points are weighted to reflect their potential environmental impacts. Gold is the second-highest certification level achievable.
The DUC has improved water and energy use efficiencies exceeding state and federal codes. The building’s construction included the use of many recycled products and materials, and about 75 percent of the construction waste was recycled.
Learn more about LEED certification and green buildings at WashU on the Office of Sustainability’s website.
Services and Centers
- A. G. Edwards & Sons, Inc.
- Ameren Corporation
- Mr. and Mrs. Melvin C. Bahle
- Mr. David and Dr. Esther Beckmann
- Mrs. Stefany Dobken Bergson and Mr. Simon Bergson
- In Memory of L. Stephen Boehm
- Mrs. Anita Louise Crozat Cassilly
- Maxine Clark and Bob Fox
- Mr. John F. Dains and Ms. Stephanie Brooks Dains
- William H. and Elizabeth Gray Danforth
- The Danforth Foundation
- Dr. Jane Zimmer Daniels
- Edison Family Group
- Dr. and Mrs. Robert L. Frachtman
- Mr. and Mrs. Marvin P. Friedman
- Mr. Alvin Goldfarb
- Angel and Paul Harvey
- Mr. and Mrs. Glenn House, Sr.
- Mr. Sumet Jiaravanon and Family
- The Mary Ranken Jordan and Ettie A. Jordan Charitable Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. Newell S. Knight, Jr.
- Carolyn and Bruce Kopper
- Dr. and Mrs. Lee M. Liberman
- Mark and Susan Maron
- Dr. and Mrs. William J. Marshall
- Mr. Arthur L. McWilliams
- Robert and Gloria Mills Messey
- Mr. I. E. Millstone
- Mike and Barbara Murray
- Mrs. William J. Oetting
- Saul and Sally Pannell
- Mary Ann Peter
- Gordon and Susan Philpott
- Mrs. Mary Dell Pritzlaff
- Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas L. Reding
- Arthur J. Reimers Family
- Mr. Scott Rudolph and Ms. Pyong Rudolph
- James E. Schiele
- Michael and Lauren Setzer
- Ronald L. and Cynthia B. Thompson
- Ann and Andrew Tisch
- Ante and Edna Trinidad
- Deborah and Ken Tuchman
- Turkanis Family
- Georgia Dunbar Van Cleve
- Dr. and Mrs. Robert L. Virgil
- Virginia V. Weldon, MD
- Debbie and Richard A. Wilpon
- Mr. and Mrs. Ronald D. Winney
- Anonymous Donors
DUC Naming Opportunities
For information about facility naming opportunities in Danforth University Center, please contact:
Director of Capital Projects, Alumni & Development