Residential Life provides winter break housing if you need to stay over break at any point between Thursday, Dec. 19, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. and Friday, Jan. 10, 2020 at 8:30 a.m. You must officially register to be able to stay over Winter Break. There is no cost associated with staying with us over the break. Please note that there will be very limited resources over the break.
Buildings will close for the fall semester at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2019 and reopen for the spring semester at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 10, 2020.
- Leaving: If you are leaving to study abroad or are graduating, you are not permitted to stay with us during the winter break. You must vacate your room by 5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 19.
- Returning: If you are returning from study abroad and needing early access please contact the office of Residential Life.
Submitting a Winter Break Housing Request
The winter break housing form will open Monday, Nov. 4, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. The deadline to register is Monday, Dec, 9, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
To stay for any portion of Winter Break, ALL students must submit either:
- A Late Stay Form
- The late stay form is only for students who need an emergency night stay for flight, family, etc. You will only be able to select one night. Please plan your travel accordingly. You must leave the day after closing by 5:00 p.m.
- This form is not for graduating students.
- A Winter Housing Form
- Only students with a Spring Booking are eligible for winter housing. If you are going abroad you must be out by Thursday, Dec. 19.
- Log on to your WEBSTAC account:
- Select ‘Housing’ on the navigation bar
- Select ‘WashU Housing Portal’
- Select ‘Request Forms’ on the navigation bar
- Select the Winter Housing form and complete form
- Don’t forget to click the submit button!
- Keep heat on (65 degrees or low) but not off
- Close windows, lower and close blinds
- Unplug everything (defrost small personal refrigerators then leave unplugged). Fish tanks can stay plugged.
- Unplug alarm clock!
- Take out the trash and recycling
- Move furniture away from heater or vents
- Turn off lights
- Lock your door(s)
- Remove bikes from room, lock to an appropriate bike rack
- Don’t blue tape any doors
- If not returning next semester, check out with an RA or your RCD. Email to set up a time
If you are not returning to Residential Life (e.g. graduating, studying abroad or transferring to a different school) you MUST properly check out of your space either In-Person or Express Checkout.
Key Return Policy
Students are required to return their room key if leaving the university in one of the three drop box locations listed below. Leaving your key under someone’s door is not allowed. You must check out properly or you will be charged a $50 improper checkout fee and $50 for a non-returned key.
Key Drop Locations:
- Residential Life Center on the South 40
- The Village Office
- The Lofts Office
Students sign up with a staff member to walk through your room and assess damages on your move out date. Please refer to your RCD email communication via monthly newsletter for information about your sign up process and Winter Break information. You must sign up by December 9th, 2020 5:00pm. If you miss the sign up deadline, you will automatically be signed up for an Express checkout. Students who sign up via in-person checkout are eligible to appeal damages.
Participating in an in-person checkout
- Your room should be packed up as much as possible.
- You have completed the checklist.
- There are no damages in the room.
- Missing a scheduled check-out time with a staff member will result in an automatic Express Checkout.
Please Note: While, RAs will be assisting in identifying potential issues with the room prior to your departure, they are not the final say in what gets charged. Your RCD will have final say.
Students who have chosen express checkout are free to leave without signing up with a staff member. Students who participate in an express checkout are not eligible to appeal damages.
Please be checking your email in the event that you are sent an email about damage charges. Deadline to appeal any damages (in-person checkout only) received from your RCD is 8:30 a.m. on Monday, Jan, 6, 2020.
Leaving the University & Spring Cancellations
By contract, any student who will not be here in the spring (studying abroad, graduating, approved to take leave/withdrawal from the University) MUST submit a Cancellation Request Form, available under the Request tab of their Housing Portal by Friday, Nov. 15, 2019.
Vacancy In Your Room?
Residential Life has the right to use any room vacancies. Unauthorized moves are strictly prohibited. We do not hold rooms for anyone due to the scarcity in room availability.
24-Hour Quiet Hours begin on Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 11:00 p.m. and will remain in effect until the Residence Halls close for the semester. There will be a $50 fine for all violations.
Health and Safety Inspections
All rooms/suites will be inspected during winter break. Fines will be assessed for any damages found. Avoid a $50 fine and make sure everything is checked off if you are leaving for any part of the break.
PARTICIPATING IN FORMAL SORORITY RECRUITMENT
If you are looking to arrive early for formal sorority recruitment, Campus Life has outlined the process for individuals participating on their website here. Our office will not be allowing students to return prior to this groups approved date. You must be participating in formal sorority recruitment for this process.