Greetings – First Year Students,
Hello and welcome new students!
Pride Alliance is one of Wash U’s LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, aromantic, and ally) groups, focusing on creating inclusive, intersectional and safe spaces for LGBTQIA+ students to build community. We also provide opportunities to learn more about and advocate solutions to issues that the LGBTQIA+ community faces today. In the process, Pride Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive community and supportive environment regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or prior experience or membership in LGBTQ+ spaces. We are also dedicated to being a supportive space for students of color and other marginalized identities on campus.
Other LGBTQIA+ student groups at WashU include:
- Connections*: peer mentorship for LGBTQIA+ students
- Lambda Q: LGBTQIA+ members of fraternities and sororities
- Athletes and Allies: upcoming group for queer students involved in athletics on campus
- Open: confidential community for students in coming out processes
- +PLUS: queer people of color identities & experiences
- Safe Zones: peer to peer educators on LGBTQIA+ issues
- Transcending Gender: confidential community for gender-queer, gender non-conforming, intersex, and transgender students
- Wash U Ace & Aro: asexual and aromantic spectrum identities & experiences
Pride Alliance has general body meetings (GBMs) every month, during the. We also have larger events such as semi-formals, a drag show, a Gender-Inclusive Clothing Swap, Suite Sundays, Bi-Visibility Day and Trans Awareness Week. Pride Alliance shares a suite with other LGBTQIA+ groups on Level 3 of the Women’s Building. The suite serves as a place to meet, relax, study, play games, and have fun. During monthly Suite Sundays, the LGBTQIA+ community gathers, at the suite, to chat over free ice-cream and waffles! Some of these things are subject to change due to the current pandemic, but Pride Alliance remains devoted to providing LGBTQIA+ students safe and fun experiences.
Ask any questions about Pride Alliance or be added to our email list to learn about upcoming events. Please also like our Facebook page and follow us on Instagram @washupridealliance. We also have a Snapchat account at wustlpride so you can catch live updates of what we’re up to. We can’t wait to hear from you and meet you soon! If you wish to be added to any of the GroupMe communities for LGBTQIA+ students, please email Max Jenkins at email@example.com.
Co – Presidents,
Izzy Yanover and Max Jenkins