Visa Renewal Reminders

Before you make any international travel plans, you should check your F-1 visa in your passport to ensure it is still valid. If your entry visa has expired or will expire before you return to the U.S., it must be renewed at a U.S. Consular office abroad. The renewal process will be the same as when you applied for a visa for the first time.

Note: WashU students who apply for new entry visas while continuing in their academic programs are NOT subject to pay the SEVIS fee again provided they have maintained F-1 or J-1 status.

Before you leave the U.S., please be sure to review our travel informationas you prepare for your departure. In addition to the documents listed on that site, you will also need the following documents:


You can request your official transcripts via WebSTAC for $5. Next day pick up is available in the Office of the University Registrar located in the Women’s Building, Suite 10. Please note: if you are a student at the School of Medicine (excluding DBBS), you can obtain a transcript in Room 100 of the McDonnell Sciences Building.

Bank Statement

You will need original financial support documents with you for your visa application.  If you are funded by the university, request a letter from your department detailing how much you receive in funding including the value of the scholarship or fellowship and stipend funds, if applicable.

I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt

You will need a copy of your I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt, printable online at:

Please also remember to consider the time of year that you are traveling and applying for the visa stamp. You may encounter delays such as longer wait times, security checks and administrative processing. If you have questions about these issues, please contact your OISS advisor.

If you are on post-completion OPT and you will need to renew your visa, we strongly recommend that you discuss your situation and travel plans with your OISS advisor.