COVID-19 Operations at a Glance
The Sumers Recreation Center is open to students only. WashU Rec is currently investigating the possibility of reopening to faculty, staff, retirees and alumni beginning July 6. Read this announcement for more information.
- Sumers Rec continues to operate on a block schedule with regular closures for thorough cleaning and disinfecting.
- Students are required to register for each visit beginning 48 hours in advance at recstore.wustl.edu or on the WashU Rec App.
- Masks are required at all times with the exception of swimmers who are in the pool.
- Cardio equipment will be available beginning Monday, May 10. Students can access treadmills, lateral trainers, recumbent bikes and stair machines on the Elevated Track while ellipticals, ergometers and stationary bikes will be available on the Rec Courts.
- Students have access to selectorized and strength training equipment in the Sumers Fitness Center as well as open workout space in Studio 1904 and the Rec Courts.
- Millstone Pool is open with limited lane space. See the “Pool Access” drop down below for detailed information.
- Francis Olympic Field and Bushyhead track continue to be available. Students have access during their registered visits while other WashU community members have drop-in access during posted hours.
- Several spaces within Sumers Rec are closed or limited in use. Please see the “Space Restrictions” drop-down below for more information.
- Several WashU Rec programs such as BearFit classes, BearFit training and intramural sports will operate in a modified fashion.
Students are required to register for their visits beginning 48 hours in advance at recstore.wustl.edu or on the WashU Rec App and must bring a WashU ID and proof of completing the University’s daily self-screening.
Students must register for a “report time” during which they are asked to arrive within the first 25 minutes. There are a limited number of registrations available for each report time. Students are asked to limit registrations to one visit per day and to cancel registrations if they are unable to attend.
Beginning Monday, May 10
6:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (Report times: 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30 a.m.)
11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Closed for disinfecting
11:00 a.m. -3:30 p.m. (Report times: 11:00, 11:30 a.m., 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30 p.m.)
3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Closed for disinfecting
4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (Report times: 4:00, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30 p.m.)
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Report times: 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, 11:30 a.m., 12:00, 12:30, 1:00 p.m.)
2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Closed for disinfecting
2:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Report times: 2:30, 3:00, 3:30, 4:00, 4:30, 5:00 p.m.)
This schedule is subject to change.
Students are required to register for a report time beginning 48 hours in advance at recstore.wustl.edu or on the WashU Rec App. Students are asked to limit registrations to one visit per day and to cancel registrations if they are unable to attend. Cancellation instructions are below.
- Log in to the Rec Store https://recstore.wustl.edu/.
- Locate your profile in the top right hand corner.
- Click on your name and then click on “profile.”
- Locate “programs” in the list on the left hand side of the screen.
- Locate the program registration you are wanting to cancel and click on the three vertical dots on the right hand side of that program listing.
- Click on “Cancel Registration.”
Upon arrival to Sumers Rec
Students are also expected to have completed the University’s daily self-screening prior to arriving at the facility.
Students must swipe their WashU ID at the terminal to the left of the Sumers Rec Center main entrance to unlock the door. This is for contact tracing purposes.
A WashU Rec employee will greet all members inside the front entrance, perform a temperature check and ask for proof of having completed the University’s daily self-screening.
Once Inside the Facility
Guests can perform a contactless checkin at the front desk by swiping their own ID cards or by scanning a custom barcode from the WashU Rec app on a barcode scanner.
Guests are expected to follow University policy regarding face masks while in the facility. Masks that cover your mouth and nose will be required at most times with the following exceptions.
- Swimmers can remove masks while they are in the water.
- Guests using outdoor facilities can remove their masks if they can maintain six feet of physical distancing.
- All guests are required to swipe their ID on the external card terminal for contract tracing purposes.
- All guests will receive a contactless temperature check.
- Guests are required to show proof of having completed the University’s daily self-screening.
Physical Distancing Measures
- Guests can do a contactless checkin by swiping their own ID or by scanning a barcode from the WashU Rec app.
- WashU Rec has placed floor markings and signage throughout the facility to guide guests on common paths in order for everyone to remain at a safe physical distance.
- All equipment within the facility has been placed at least six feet apart.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Participants are expected to thoroughly clean equipment after each use. WashU Rec has significantly increased the amount of cleaning wipe stations available throughout the facility.
- The facility is thoroughly disinfected using a specialized disinfectant fogger multiple times throughout the day and staff is on hand to help disinfect during opening hours.
- The water fountains throughout the facility are turned off, but guests can still fill their bottles at the bottle filling stations, which will are disinfected regularly.
- Equipment and towel lending has been suspended and we are not providing cloth material equipment such as yoga mats and straps for BearFit classes or training. Members can purchase a yoga mat at the Member Services desk.
Restrooms are limited to two people at a time.
Rec Locker Rooms
The Rec Locker Rooms are only available for swimmers who have registered for an open swim time. Swimmers can only use the locker rooms to change before entering the pool and are expected to wear a mask while in the locker rooms. The showers and sauna are not available for use per county health guidelines.
Rec Courts 1 and 2 are housing cardio equipment that will be available for use beginning Monday, May 10. Court 3 is available for for singles badminton and physically distanced floor workouts. Basketball and volleyball are not available.
The Elevated Track is housing cardio equipment that will be available for use beginning Monday, May 10. Running around the track is not permitted. The boxing area will also be available for use beginning May 10 with a capacity of two people.
Studio 1904 is available as an individual workout space with limited capacity.
The Olympic Studio is used for distanced personal training and is otherwise unavailable.
The Zen Den is currently only available for use by students who have registered for a massage chair session. We are currently only booking one 30-minute appointment for the massage chair every hour. Visit the relaxation chairs page for more information.
The racquetball and squash courts are closed until further notice.
Zenker Wellness Suite
The Zenker Wellness Suite is closed for the foreseeable future. Check this page to learn more about the Habif Health and Wellness Center’s modified programming.
Francis Olympic Field & Bushyhead Track
Francis Olympic Field and Bushyhead Track are available for drop-in use by members of the WashU campus community, including staff, faculty and contracted employees, during posted hours. No off-campus visitors will have access per University restrictions to visitors. Check the Francis Olympic Field web page for updated hours and details on facility access protocols.
Tao Tennis Center
The Tao Tennis Center conntinues to be available to members of the WashU Community for drop-in use during scheduled hours. No off-campus visitors will have access per University restrictions to visitors. Check the Tao Tennis Center web page for updated hours and details on facility access protocols.
IM Field & Mudd Field
IM Field and Mudd Field are available for individual, physically-distanced use by members of WashU community.
WashU Rec is currently investigating the possibility of reopening to faculty, staff, retirees and alumni beginning July 6. Read this announcement for more information.
WashU Rec is only offering new membership sales to part-time, non health and wellness fee-paying students beginning October 5. Once WashU Rec is able to offer facility access to faculty staff and contracted employees, WashU Rec will begin offering new membership sales to those populations.
SPOUSE/PARTNER, RETIREE, ALUMNI IMPACT
Per University policy, visitors to campus are restricted to those deemed “mission-critical.” Therefore, the memberships of spouses, partners, retirees, and alumni will continue to be suspended indefinitely.
- Membership Extension (Default): We plan on extending all paid memberships by a duration equivalent to the length of time a membership has been in suspense; however, we’ll also be adding on an additional one-week extension to thank you for your patience and understanding. There is no need to contact us if you’d like a membership extension. This extension will be executed once your membership population regains access to facilities.
- Prorated Membership Refund: If the membership extension will not work for you, we can prorate your refund based on the remaining length of your current membership. Since we do not keep credit card information on file, we will contact you by phone to complete your refund. Please e-mail us at email@example.com making sure to include your phone number and input “membership refund” in the subject line.
- Payroll Deduction: Payroll deducted memberships can choose between the membership extension option or a prorated membership cancellation. If you decide to extend your membership and have not yet reached the full deduction total ($200), you will continue to receive payroll deductions until the full deduction total is met. Once your full total is met ($200) you will no longer receive any further deductions. However, your membership will be extended equivalent to the length of the closure when we reopen plus one additional week. If you choose the prorated cancellation option, we will turn-off future deductions and refund you any deductions since our March closure.
Rec Locker Rooms
The Rec Locker Rooms will only be available for swimmers who have pre-registered. Swimmers can only use the locker rooms to change before entering the pool and are expected to continue wearing a mask while in the locker room. The showers and sauna will not be available for use per county health guidelines.
Locker Room Lockers
The yellow day use lockers will be available to swimmers. Swimmers will also be able to use their rented lockers.
Non-swimming members with rented lockers have the following options as the locker room continues to be offline for regular use.
- Locker Extension (Default): We plan on extending all paid locker rentals by a duration equivalent to the length of the locker room closure; however, we’ll also be adding on an additional one-week extension to thank you for your patience and understanding. There is no need to contact us if you’d like a locker rental extension. This extension will be executed once we open full access to the locker rooms.
- Prorated Refund: If the locker extension will not work for you, we can provide a refund commensurate with the number of days the locker room was offline. The prorated refund amount will be based on the per-day rate of your current rental. Since we do not keep credit card information on file, we will contact you by phone to complete your refund. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your phone number if this is your preferred choice.
*Regardless of which option you select, your personal items will remain secure in your locker. We will not clean out any lockers even if your expiration date occurs during the closure. You will have ample time to retrieve your personal items when we reopen.
Day use lockers
The day use lockers located throughout the Sumers Recreation Center will continue to be available for use. We ask users to sanitize lockers, including the combination panel, with a disinfectant wipe after removing belongings.
- Swimmers are required to register for report times beginning 48 hours in advance at recstore.wustl.edu or on the WashU Rec App and must bring a WashU ID and proof of completing the University’s daily self-screening.
- Swimmers will enter via the Sumers Rec Center main entrance. Even after the initial checkin at the front door, swimmers are asked to check in with the staff on the pool deck.
- The open swim schedule does not correspond to the Sumers Rec Center open hours. Swimmers will still be able to swipe in at the Sumers main entrance to access the pool while Sumers is closed.
- Only one swimmer per lane will be allowed and a maximum of 12 people allowed in pool area at a time.
- Swimmers will be required to wear a mask on pool deck until entering the water.
- Showers and sauna will not be available. Lockers rooms will only be available as a changing space for swimmers. Swimmers are expected to wear a mask in the locker rooms.
- Towel service will be unavailable.
- No swim equipment will be available for lending, however goggles will be available for purchase at the membership services desk.
At this time the Level 2 Equipment Desk is closed and there is no equipment available for lending. Shared yoga mats will not be available for use throughout the facility.
WashU Rec will offer yoga mats, fitness band packs, swimming goggles and badminton racquets for sale at the member services desk.
The South 40 Fitness Center remains closed indefinitely. Check back for more information on the reopening of S40 Fitness.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, WashU Rec has temporarily moved all BearFit classes online. Most BearFit classes stream live on the WashU Rec YouTube channel and all classes are available on-demand. BearFit virtual classes are free and open to anyone.
Outdoor Classes, Summer 2021
WashU Rec will hold in-person outdoor classes beginning June 1. Classes will be held on the third floor of the Snow Way parking garage where there is protection from the rain and sun. Check out the BearFit Classes page for more information.
WashU Rec released a series of 12 on-demand workout videos on the WashU Rec YouTube channel. The series is broken up into four sets of three weekly workouts — a strength workout, a mobility workout and a HIIT workout. Access the BearFit On-Demand playlist below.
Initial consultations for new clients will be available via Zoom and all initial paperwork will be completed online.
In-Person BearFit Training Protocols
- WashU Rec will accept 1-on-1 personal training appointments with BearFit trainers.
- Training sessions will take place in the Olympic Studio or outdoors.
- Training will be contactless. BearFit trainers and clients will both wear masks and maintain at least six feet of physical distance.
- Soft or cloth equipment will not be used, this includes mats, bolsters, straps, blankets, TRX straps, etc.
- Hard equipment such as dumbbells, kettlebells and weight bars will be used. Equipment will be sanitized before use and participants will be asked to disinfect equipment after use.
WashU Rec will begin to introduce low-risk, non-contact activities with the following safety protocols in place.
- All staff will wear personal protective equipment.
- Masks will not be mandatory at all times indoors.
- Participants will be required to wear masks while checking in for outdoor activities.
- Examples of activities will include soccer skills competition, Esports and Hot Shot.
WashU Rec is working closely with representatives from Student Union and Campus Life to develop guidance for all WashU student groups this fall. Additionally, we are working with campus partners to determine whether it will be possible to provide safe access to the South Campus facilities. We’ll update this page with more concrete information once we know more.
WashU Rec regretfully won’t be able to safely support several of its regular programs this fall due to COVID-19-related restrictions. At this time, we don’t anticipate offering the following programs and services.
- Racquetball, squash, table tennis and pickup basketball/volleyball are not available.
- Massage Therapy in the Zen Den
- Cooking Classes
- Bear Adventures
- Swim Lessons
- Zenker Wellness Suite Programming
WashU Rec is in need of students to Join Team WashU student staff for the 2020-21 academic year. Check the Team WashU page or join a Zoom recruitment session for more information.