The Importance of Forming Your Group
We want you to form your group based on who you want to live with and what style of room you are petitioning for.
It is important for you student to talk with, meet with, or get to know your potential roommates for next year. We encourage you to have these conversations early. Our office will be hosting information sessions, roommate mixers, and will have a roommate finding feature on the application as you apply.
If you are not able to form a group, don’t worry! Residential Life will place you during the administrative process.
Step 1: Identify a Group Leader
What is a Group Leader?
The Group Leader is the person who creates a group for others to join. The Group Leader will be able to select for the group in Round 2: Room Selection process. Before registering, groups should discuss whom they wish to assume the responsibility of being the group leader.
- Find individuals you would like to live with based on area you would like to live in.
- Assign a group leader and petition your group and your groups housing preference.
Each group member should check their selection on the Housing Selection page of the Housing Application. If all process selection preferences are matching between all members, the Group Leader should be able to form the group.
- February 1 – 8, 2019 Housing Reapplication open for eligible undergraduate students. Students will have the option to select to participate in the Res College, Living Learning Community, Fraternity Housing, or General.
- February 15, 2019 Res College Round: Group Petition Closes
- February 18, 2019 Res College Round: Group Petitions approved will be notified by email. Group Petitions not approved will be notified by email to petition for General Round.
- February 22, 2019 General Round: Group Petition Closes
- February 25, 2019 General Round: Group Petitions approved will be notified by email. Group Petitions not approved will be notified by email to regroup to submit a new group petition.
- February 28, 2019 General Round: Group Petition closes for group to regroup.
- March 4, 2019 General Round: All approved Group Petitions will be notified by email to check the WashU Housing Portal for timeslots. Any group or individual who does not receive a time slot will be administrative assigned after April 1, 2019.
How do I form a group?
On the WashU Housing Portal application, you have the ability to request up to 7 students to live with. Your roommates must accept your request in order to be verified.
Can I live with someone of the opposite sex?
The Office of Residential Life aims to treat students as adults and encourages them to make well-thought-out decisions. We offer students a housing option where assignments are not based on gender. Gender Inclusive assignments are available in all Housing Selection processes.
If your group receives a Gender Inclusive assignment, the suite/apartment must be filled for the entire academic year. Groups with members who intend to participate in the Spring Study Abroad Program must be prepared to replace members after the fall semester. If there is an unexpected cancellation, you will be offered the opportunity to secure a replacement, but Residential Life reserves the right to assign another applicant to the space or to reassign the remaining residents to same-gender accommodations.
What do I do if I don’t have people to form a group with?
Those who submit a housing agreement, but do not have a group will be administratively assigned. Students looking for roommates can use the WashU Housing Portal to find others to live with. Students can also talk to their RCDs and RAs about finding a roommate.
Step 2: Form your group
A group may contain 1 to 8 group members. Students who wish to register for room selection as a group should be aware of the following information:
- Up to 8 students can join a roommate group.
- Students may only register as part of one group at a given time.
- Only one person within the group will create the group name and password and thereby is designated the Group Leader. The Group Leader will be able to select for the group in Round 2: Room Selection process.
- Each member is responsible for adding themselves to the group created by the group leader. To add yourself to a group, you will need the group name and password, which should be provided by your group leader.
- All members of the group will receive the same selection time. Only the Group leader will select the rooms at the room selection time.