Fall 2020 Move-In Procedures
Move-in procedures for the new class start date communicated by the chancellor will be announced by July 31. Please do not make non-refundable travel plans until you have received further instructions about the move-in and orientation process. University FAQ for Fall semester.
Spring 2020 Closing Procedures
Check out is Thursday, May 7, 2020 BEFORE 5:00 p.m.
Failure to leave by 5:00 p.m. without appropriate and timely notification to your RCD will result in a $50 fine and an automatic Express Checkout.
Check out is Sunday, May 17, 2020 BEFORE 12:00 p.m.
Not following the procedures listed below or leaving your room the way you found it when you moved in could result in charges.
24 Hour Quiet Hours begin at 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 26, 2020.
Please be respectful of others! This applies to student rooms as well as common areas. Contact your RA if you need assistance in addressing a noise concern.
- Sign Up for your preferred check out method: In-Person or Express Checkout.
- Complete check-out form.
- Remove all belongings.
- Clean room.
- Dispose of trash.
- Ensure the university’s furniture is all there.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Return your key card to the appropriate Res Life Office or key drop box.
- Close and lock your door.
- Report shared space damage to your RCD.
On Campus Specific:
- The bottom of your bed needs to be two feet from the floor.
Off Campus Specific
- Clean your appliances but DO NOT unplug.
Failure to return your key card will result in a $50 charge for an improper check out.
- Put your key card in the provided yellow envelope, sign it, and seal it.
- Return your key card to either Res Life Office in person or via the drop located in the Residential Life Center, Village House, or Lofts Office.
- DO NOT return your picture ID, please take that home with you.
Students seeking a late stay, should read the below deadlines and summer information carefully.
The Late Stay Form will open Monday, March 30, 2020. The form can be found via your WashU Housing Portal.
The Late Stay Form will close Monday, April 27, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
- All students must move out by 11:00 a.m. of their approved new checkout date.
- Approvals will be communicated via email on rolling basis. Please be checking your email.
- If you are participating in a program or summer program, your program lead must submit your name to our office by a certain deadline.
- A Late Stay Fee will apply in all approved cases.
Please read below if you are seeking Summer Housing:
Enrolled in Summer School:
- Please contact the Summer Conferences office for your summer housing application information. Summer Housing for Enrolled Summer School Students will begin on Sunday, May 17th.
Participating in Intern/Research and currently living in Res Life Managed Housing:
- Residence halls will close on Thursday, May 7th at 5PM. If you are participating in a research or intern program and need late stay housing until intern/research housing begins on Sunday, May 24th, please complete a Late Stay Request Form via your WashU Housing Portal.
Not Enrolled in Summer School or an Intern/Research Program:
- If you are not enrolled in summer school or participating in an intern/research program, there are no long term housing options available for residential life students or non-res life students following the building close date on Thursday, May 7th at 5PM. Should you have a need for emergency housing following the close date, please contact Residential Life office via email or phone. Emergency approvals will only be approved to stay no later than Sunday, May 24th.
- Important Information to Note:
- A late stay fee of $50.00/night will apply in all approved cases.
- In certain circumstances you may be required to move to a temporary space.
- Storage is NOT available on campus.
If you are a graduating senior, the above does not apply.
Please take your bikes home!
- Only summer residents will be allowed to leave their bike over the summer. As a summer resident, you must register with Residential Life.
- You can register your bike In-Person in the Res Life Office starting Monday, April 1, 2019.
- You will be given a tag that you must display on the handle bars of your bike. If the tag is not displayed, your bike will be removed.
- Beginning May 21 all others will be removed.
Visit USPS to forward your mail. Mail will be sent to your permanent address if there is no forwarding order.
- University Trucking will provide summer storage and shipping services for students’ belongings.
- Pick-up begins April 27 through May 18. University Trucking employees will have white shirts displaying the company name. U Trucking provides shipping and storage for the duration of the summer. Short-term storage is available for students interning or taking summer classes in St. Louis.
- Students must sign-up for in-person checkout with RCD/RA/Grad Fellow by Monday, April 27, 2020.
- Sign up will be available via RCD communication by April 10, 2020.
- Students must complete the Move-out Checklist and remove all belongings from room.
- A staff member will meet you at your room to check everything. This will include going over your Room Condition Report and doing a walk through looking for any damages.
- Once room is checked, return your key (in the envelope) to the staff member checking you out.
- Please remember that participating in an In-Person checkout DOES ALLOW you to appeal damage charges.
- Students must review and complete Move-Out Checklist on door and sign
- Return key card in key envelope to either Residential Life office (Residential Life Center in South 40 House or the Village Office) during business hours or via the drop boxes at the Lofts (6300 Enright), Village House, or Res. Life vestibule.
Please remember that participating in an Express-Person checkout DOES NOT ALLOW you to appeal damage charges.
If you are checking out of Fraternity Housing, you must adhere to the same checkout procedures and dates described above. Please communicate with Molly Bennett for your checkout sign up information. If you have any questions, please contact Residential Life.