F-1 Application for a Reduced Course Load

Depending on your situation, it is possible to reduce your course load for your last semester on campus.

In order to be a part-time student, you must apply using the Reduced Course Load (RCL) authorization form. You would need to have your academic advisor complete the RCL form and then apply at OISS by dropping off the completed form during the first two weeks of the semester.

Being authorized for an RCL to complete your course of study in the current term means that your I-20 will be shortened to the end of the current semester. It also means that you are not eligible for an extension of your I-20.

Effect on tuition, insurance, and university benefits

Since policies differ between programs, you will need to check with your school/program about whether you will have to pay full tuition or not during the final semester with a reduced course load. F-1 students are automatically enrolled in the university health insurance even when they are authorized to be part-time students, so there is no need to worry about your medical insurance coverage. However, as a part-time student you might not be eligible for a U-Pass or access to the Athletic Center. Again, it is best to check with your school/program about these benefits.