ASK AN ADVISOR: I’m Graduating Soon, How Can I Get Work Authorization?

Question: I will be graduating soon. How do I get work authorization to work in the US after graduation?

Answer: If you are graduating in December, you are probably thinking about what happens next. If you want to work in the US after graduation, you will need to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). The good news is that OISS has all the information you need to get started!

OPT is an F-1 benefit that allows you to work in the US for 12 months (sometimes more) in a job that is related to your field of study. In the workshop we will give you all the information you need about how OPT works, what you can do while on OPT and how to apply.

The application can take about 3 months to process so we recommend going to the workshop soon so you have all the information you need to apply.

Step One: Sign up to attend an OPT workshop:

Step Two: Gather all your materials from the workshop checklist, and meet your advisor twice during walk-in advising hours, Monday through Thursday, 1:30-3:30.

Written By: India Baker Hudspeth, International Student Advisor