Written by: Alayna Hutchinson, International Student and Scholar Advisor
Question: What can I do in St. Louis over the Wellness Day Break?
Answer: This year, it is highly advised that students who are currently studying in St. Louis to stay in the St. Louis area, even over the Wellness Day breaks. However, you can still vacation while staying in town! You can do (*drum rolls*) a staycation! A staycation can have all the perks of a vacation without having to leave your home or spend money on travel and/or lodging.
Here’s a list of 5 things that you could do on your staycation:
- Mute your notifications – Set your away message, delete your social media, and whatever else you need to do to unplug from your usual routine. It’s easy to log onto an app be on there for hours just scrolling away, or see a news headline pop-up that causes your mood to drop. During your break, use this time to choose what activities get to have your attention and time.
- Clean – This can be a deep clean or just re-organizing items in your space. Cleaning is not only hygienic, but can be a stress relieving activity. Read more about stress management, facts, and self-care here.
- Order Curb Side Pick-up or Delivery – Treat yourself to your favorite restaurant or try something new! St. Louis is home to a variety of cuisines from all over the globe. See below for a few of our OISS Staff favorites.*
- Spend some time outdoors – In addition to Forest Park, there are over 100 parks and 79 neighborhoods in St. Louis. You can research walking tours, or plan your own self-guided tour, to see the history of St. Louis through architecture and nature while getting some exercise and fresh air.
- Plan a virtual hangout – Catch up with friends from home or plan a virtual game night with some classmates or colleagues. Connecting with others can help improve your mood and perhaps even bring a smile to your face and the people you’re virtually with.
St. Louis Restaurant Recommendations from OISS Staff
A lot of the restaurants offer curbside pick-up or deliver, and most are local to the Lou.
Location: Delmar Loop
- Corner 17
- Seoul Taco
Location: Central West End
Location: The Grove
- Everest Café
- Grace Meat + Three
Location: South Grand
- The Vine Mediterranean Café
- Pho Grand
Location: The Hill
- MoKaBe’s Coffeehouse
Location: Cherokee Street
- Hectoria Taqueria