Ask an Advisor: Traveling This Winter (Part 3)


Written by Ezinne Arizor, International Student and Scholar Advisor

Question: I am going home over winter break! How do I get a travel signature?

Answer:  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, OISS has a modified process for travel signatures. There will not be any in-person travel signatures this year. Instead, no earlier than 30 days before the day you return to the US, you should complete and submit the Travel Signature Request Form on our website.

Your OISS Advisor will email you an electronic I-20 or DS-2019 that is signed for travel, which you can print, sign, date, and carry with you as you re-enter the U.S. When you re-enter the US, do not forget that in addition to an I-20 signed for travel, you should also have:

    1. Valid passport with valid F-1 or J-1 visa
    2. I-20 or DS-2019 (printed, with a travel signature within 30 days of the date you return to the US)
    3. SEVIS Fee Receipt

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you leave the U.S., it is important to know the risks of international travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel bans, U.S. consular post closures, visa renewal needs, and uncertainty about the U.S. government’s plan for Spring 2021. Please read our first two posts in this travel series for information:

Finally, don’t forget that you can always reach out to your OISS Advisor if you have any questions about travel.