ASK AN ADVISOR: Who Can I Talk to When I am Feeling Stressed?

Question: I’ve been in the US for over a year, but I’m still having difficulty adjusting. The stress from my classes is too much and I feel like an outsider, constantly alone. Is there anyone I can talk to about this?


For both domestic and international students, university life can be frustrating, stressful and even lonely. Because of this, it is important to take care of your mental and emotional health. Here at OISS, we encourage all levels of students, from new undergraduate students to PhD students in the last stages of their dissertation, to open up to someone if you are feeling lonely or stressed.

If you are not comfortable speaking to a friend, please know that WashU provides a number of support groups to help students deal with the myriad of emotions and stresses and life situations that often happens as students pursue higher education. The Habif Health Center is one particular resource and you can find a list of their mental health services here, including Let’s Talk and CHAT.

Let’s Talk is an informal, one-on-one drop-in counseling service where students can speak to a counselor, held throughout the week across the different schools of Danforth Campus. You can find the Let’s Talk fall semester schedule here.

CHAT (Creating Healthy Actions Together), is an informal group counseling service aimed specifically at international graduate students. Held on Tuesdays from 3:40 to 4:55 p.m. in the Small Conference Center at the Liberman Graduate Center on the 3rd floor of the DUC, sessions are led by Dr. Ciloue Stewart. Dr. Stewart is a champion of both Let’s Talk and CHAT and is happy to serve the international community in their mental health needs. Feel free to reach her at

And, remember, YOU are important. Your health is important. Come talk to us at OISS if you’d like more information on campus health resources.

Written By: Ezinne Arizor, International Student Advisor