Housing Information and procedures Winter and Spring academic breaks for students living in Residential Life managed housing.
Winter Break Information
Residence halls will close on Thursday, December 23 by 5:00pm.
- Students who plan to remain on campus for the Winter Break period (including fraternity housing) must register via the Winter Housing Request Form in their WashU Housing Portal. There is no associated costs for staying for Winter Break.
- The Winter Housing request form will open Friday, November 5, 2021 by 12:00pm.
- I’m staying for the entire Winter Break.
- I’m only planning to stay for a short period of time and leaving to go to an alternate destination.
- My plane doesn’t leave until the weekend.
- I’m planning on staying for one more night.
Read Note: When completing the Winter Break Housing Form, the date you select is important. The departure date you select let’s us know when you will be leaving and when your access to residential facilities will be turned off until Spring opening. There will be no exceptions. If you plan to stay the entire break, select Friday, January 14, 2022.
- Study Abroad students will need to email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org for special early arrival approval. There will be an associated cost.
- New Spring Transfer and Exchange students (due to orientation requirements) NOT eligible for winter housing.
- Graduating senior contracts will end when residence halls close Friday, December 23, 5:00 p.m. Graduates must be completely moved out at closing time by 5:00 p.m.
For information about dining over the Winter Break, visit here for 2020.
Residents who plan to leave for Winter Break but return for the Spring semester should adhere to the following procedures. All rooms will undergo Health and Safety inspections during the Winter Break. Fines will be assessed for any damages.
- Keep heat on (65 degrees or low) but DO NOT TURN OFF.
- Close all of your windows.
- Close your blinds.
- Unplug everything (defrost the refrigerator then leave unplugged). Fish tanks may remain plugged in.
- Remove all perishable items and throw items away. (This includes perishables in the fridge)
- Unplug your alarm clock.
- Take out the trash and recycling.
- Move furniture away from the heater or vents.
- Remove bikes from your room. (We recommend you register your bike if you haven’t already, purchase a lock from WUPD and lock your bike to a bike rack station on campus)
- Move all electronics up off the floor.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock your door(s).
Take all valuables with you while at home for winter break. Residential Life will not provide shipping of items.
If you are not planning to return in the Spring Semester, please see move out information here.
Bringing Move Out Assistance
We ask that students limit assistance when moving out of the residence halls to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Those assisting are asked to follow all Danforth Campus Visitor Protocols when coming to campus. A daily self-screen is required before entry on campus. Information about the Danforth Campus Visitor Protocols can be found here.
24-Hour Quiet Hours begin on Sunday, December 12, 2021 at 11:00 p.m. and will remain in effect until the Residence Halls close for the semester. There will be a $50 fine for all violations.
Health and Safety Inspections
All rooms/suites will be inspected during winter break. Fines will be assessed for any damages found. To avoid a $50 fine, make sure you have checked off the items on the Winter Break checklist prior to leaving for break.
Participating in Formal Sorority Recruitment
If you are looking to arrive early for formal sorority recruitment, Campus Life has outlined the process for individuals participating on their website here. Our office will not be allowing students to return prior to this groups approved date. You must be participating in formal sorority recruitment for this process.
Spring Opening Information
Residence halls will open on Friday, January 14, 2022.
Operational Hours for Spring Opening
- All Residential Life offices will be open from 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday.
- Offices will be closed on the weekends and all observed university holidays.
- Holidays: Friday, December 24, Friday, January 31, Monday, January 17.
- Up to date office hours can be found here.
New students checking in outside of operational hours will be asked to find alternate accommodations for the evening. You can return to check in the following business day at 8:30am.